At Vibe Adventures, we believe that our responsibility to the planet extends beyond our immediate operations. That’s why we have created a Sustainable Policy (aligned with the Guiding Principles of the Future of Tourism Coalition) that guides us in identifying, monitoring, and improving the environmental and social aspects of our company. We aim to create a positive impact on tourism while inspiring our partners to join us in our efforts and work together towards a brighter, more sustainable future for all.
Vibe Adventures commits to internal sustainability management, practiced by following actions and principles that ensure environmental protection, enhance community relations, and protect human rights.
(a) Labor conditions and personal growth
- Provide a safe working environment and align with all applicable national labor laws.
- Guarantee fair market-based remuneration that is at par or exceeds local standards.
- Offer flexible work arrangements to support work-life balance and mental health.
- Prohibit any discrimination based on gender, race, age, physical condition, ethnicity, religion/beliefs, or sexual orientation.
- Promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace by fostering a culture of respect and understanding.
- Encourage employee feedback and engagement through regular performance evaluations and open communication channels.
- Foster a positive workplace culture through team-building activities, recognition programs, and a supportive work environment.
- Provide opportunities for career advancement and professional growth through mentorship, training, and development programs.
(b) Environmental Management:
- Actively work to reduce the usage of disposable and consumer goods to reduce waste.
- Reduce paper usage by implementing paperless practices and digitizing documents where possible.
- Reduce the environmental impact of transportation by promoting telework, tele/video meetings, work-at-home policies, or other suitable alternatives.
- Practice energy conservation by turning off lights and equipment when not in use.
- Prioritize the purchase of low-energy equipment when acquiring new items.
- Encourage employees to use eco-friendly commuting methods such as walking, cycling, or public transport.
- Provide environmental training and guidance to all employees, and encourage their active involvement in sustainable practices.
Vibe Adventures also strives to improve the sustainability of our partners by implementing a community model for our partner tour organizers to follow. It’s based on 3 pillars with initiatives that are aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- Empower local communities:
- (SDG 1: No Poverty) Employ local community members and integrate them into the tourism value chain (most of our tours are led by local guides).
- (SDG 2: Zero Hunger) In food-related tours, cooperate and develop partnerships with small local farmers, agricultural communities, and cooperatives.
- (SDG 3: Good Health and Well-Being) When organizing tours, apply best practices from already existing resources on health for guidance (e.g. those from WHO & WTTC).
- (SDG 4: Quality Education) Create programs (internships, work-study programs) that give students earlier access to the corporate environment and demonstrate employment opportunities in tourism while also providing employees with continuous opportunities to improve their (job) skills.
- (SDG 5: Gender Equality) Ensure sufficient participation of women (over 40% of our staff, both office team and guides and drivers, are women) and pay equal remuneration, including benefits.
- (SDG 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth) Give access to decent work opportunities in the tourism sector to underrepresented groups, particularly youth, and women.
- (SDG 10: Reduced Inequalities) Reduce inequalities and regional imbalances by giving communities the opportunity to prosper in their place of origin.
- Protect cultural and natural heritage:
- (SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities) Promote respectful behavior towards cultural and natural heritage by educating travelers on the local customs, traditions, and values.
- (SDG 16: Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions) Promote cultural exchange and encourage travelers to interact with local communities and learn about their traditions and core values thus fostering intercultural understanding, respect, tolerance, and peace.
- (SDG 17: Partnerships for the Goals) Promote and encourage implementing the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism among travelers, local communities, and tour organizers.
- Benefit the planet:
- (SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation) Educate travelers about responsible water consumption behaviors, explaining global and local water quality and scarcity issues, especially those in the areas where the tours are operated.
- (SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production) Develop and run sustainable tourism products that promote responsible consumption and production practices, such as eco-tourism activities, sustainable cultural tours, and responsible wildlife tourism.
- (SDG 13: Climate Action)
- Use energy-efficient lighting and give preference to sustainable accommodation options, such as eco-friendly hotels, lodges, and homestays that use renewable energy sources, reduce water consumption, and minimize waste generation.
- Educate travelers on the impacts of climate change on tourism and the importance of taking action to mitigate its effects.
- (SDG 14: Life Below Water) During tours in the coastal areas, raise travelers’ awareness of effective ways to properly dispose of their waste to discourage littering and promote responsible behavior and grab their attention about illicit practices that put marine species and resources at further risk of harm, exploitation, or depletion.
- (SDG 15: Life on Land)
- Educate travelers on proper behaviors when visiting forests or natural areas, including interaction with local wildlife.
- Promote responsible wildlife tourism by supporting conservation efforts and avoiding activities that exploit or harm wildlife.
To be considered as local partners, tour organizers must participate in at least two of the above initiatives and provide evidence of integration of those initiatives in their operations. Except for this,
Vibe Adventures Partners shall:
- Adhere to all national employment and tour organization laws.
- Possess all necessary legal documentation, including business registration, licensing, and insurance, required by national laws to offer advertised services.
- Demonstrate tour organization experience through a minimum of 20 positive public reviews (e.g. on Tripadvisor, Yelp, or Google).
3. Destinations and tours
Vibe Adventures is committed to protecting the integrity of local communities while opposing actions that harm wildlife or pollute the environment. The company strives to maximize positive impacts and minimize negative effects at destinations to ensure their sustainable development. To achieve this, Vibe Adventures has outlined a set of actions that it pledges to undertake:
- Not offer any activities that may cause harm to humans, wildlife, or the environment, or those that are deemed socially and culturally unacceptable.
- Oppose activities that involve captive wildlife, except for those that are properly regulated and comply with local, national, and international laws.
- Promote tours and activities that financially support local communities through the consumption of their services and products.
- Encourage travelers to participate in tours and activities that support the local environment and biodiversity.
- Limit the number of activities offered in destinations that have negative environmental and social impacts while prioritizing alternative, less common destinations.